Mushrooms – Info about This specific Magic Compound

Here certainly are a few factual statements about Mushrooms, the magic ingredient:

Mushrooms in many cases are classified as a vegetable or perhaps a herb, but they’re actually fungi.

While you will find over 14,000 mushrooms, no more than 3,000 are edible, about 700 have known medicinal properties, and fewer than one percent are recognized as poisonous.

People who collect mushrooms for consumption are referred to as mycophagists, and the act of collecting them for such is called mushroom hunting or just “mushrooming” ;.

Only specimens which can be freshly picked or properly preserved should really be consumed and not as old. Once an edible mushroom loses its freshness, bacterial colonies will form and stomach upsets or worse symptoms can be anticipated if such specimens are ingested.

Probably the most commonly consumed mushroom in the world is Agaricus bisporus or the white button mushroom. It’s two other types Crimini or brown mushrooms with an even more earthy flavor and firmer texture mushroom chocolate bars, and Portabella mushrooms with a sizable umbrella-shaped cap and meaty flavor.

The Egyptians considered mushrooms as a delicacy, and the Greeks thought that mushrooms provided strength for warriors in battle. The Romans regarded mushrooms as a present from God and served them only on festive occasions, as the Chinese treasured them as a health food.

Mushrooms contain about 80 to 90 % water and are very low in calories (only 100 calories/oz). They’ve hardly any sodium and fat and 8 to 10 % of the dry weight is fiber.

Just about 45% of mushrooms produced are consumed in the fresh form. The rest of the 55% is processed with 5% in the dehydrated form and 50% in the canned mushrooms form.

This shelf life of mushrooms in the fresh form is very short. Hence mushrooms are traded in the world market mostly in the processed form.

Some mushrooms produce compounds that fight cancer! This is discovered when scientists in Japan found a community had unusually low cancer rates.

Mushrooms can be used for dyeing wool and other natural fibers. The chromophores of mushrooms are organic compounds and produce strong and vivid colors, and all colors of the spectrum can be performed with mushroom dyes.

Netherlands is the biggest exporter of canned button mushrooms with a market share of about 38.5%. China is second with almost 30% of world trade. France is close third with 13.5% of the entire world exports.

So far as the import market goes, probably the most significant buyer of canned white button mushroom is Germany. It alone accounts for almost 40% of the entire world imports.

As well as the above facts, mushrooms assists in immune function, they’re saturated in vegetable proteins and also promotes health and vitality.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *